WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF A CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR? FAMILY SAFETY
When it comes to family safety, there are a number of steps that you can take to protect your loved ones at home. Many people spend time and money investing in security devices and solutions for the home in order to protect their families. However, what about silent assassins that may already be in the home such as carbon monoxide? This is a danger that a lot of people tend to overlook when considering safety aspects of the home but it is a very real danger that can cause fatalities, which is why a carbon monoxide detector is so important.
The reason why carbon monoxide has become known as the silent killer is because you cannot tell that it is present. It has no color, no odor, and no taste. What it does have is deadly toxins that can result in death and the only way that you can detect its presence is if you have a working carbon monoxide detector in place. You may think that your home is not at risk from carbon monoxide fumes but the truth is that there are many common products and devices that are used in homes which can produce carbon monoxide.
Some Of The Common Devices and Appliances That Can Produce CO
Also known as CO, carbon monoxide can be produced by a range of devices and appliances around the home. In fact, any appliance or product that burns fuel is able to produce this deadly gas if the equipment is faulty or not used properly. Obviously, because of its lack of odor and color, you would not even realize you were in danger until it was possibly too late. Some of the appliances and devices that are used in homes and can generate CO include:
- Wood stoves
- Charcoal grills
- Gas dryers
- Water heaters run on gas
- Gas stoves
- Furnaces that are fuelled by fire
When this toxic gas enters the body, it restricts the flow of oxygen to body tissues and major organs. This includes organs such as the brain and heart. Inhalation of this gas results in many deaths and casualties every year—something that many may have been able to avoid had they got a carbon monoxide detector installed.
A Carbon Monoxide Detector Can Save Lives
When it comes to protecting the health and life of your family members, a carbon monoxide alarm detector plays a vital role in stopping family members from potentially dying from carbon monoxide poisoning. These carbon monoxide detection devices are able to detect the silent killer and sound an alarm if any presence of CO is detected in the same way that a smoke detector will sound an alarm when smoke is detected. However, the difference is that you can see and smell smoke from a fire whereas you have no idea when deadly carbon monoxide is being breathed in by you or your loved ones.
In short, carbon monoxide detection is vital. The purpose of these detectors is to pick up on the presence of carbon monoxide and then warn you so that you can take action. These detectors are able to save lives by letting you know when this deadly, toxic gas is present. Otherwise, you are at risk of continuing with your activities as normal while breathing it in without even realizing that you are doing it. This is something that can have deadly consequences but with carbon monoxide detectors you can reduce the risks dramatically.
The key benefits of having these alarms fitted in your home include:
- Peace of mind: It is only natural to worry about the health and safety of your family, which is why people have smoke alarms and burglar alarms fitted. Carbon monoxide detectors will add to that peace of mind by ensuring that your loved ones are protected against the dangers of inhaling CO.
- Protection: As mentioned earlier, CO is a highly poisonous gas that has no color, odor, or taste, so if there is a carbon monoxide gas leak you wouldn’t be able to tell. This means those in the home would continue breathing in the air as normal but would also be taking in this toxic gas. With a detector in place, you can provide valuable and even life-saving protection for your family so that they do not breathe in dangerous levels of the gas.
- An early warning sign: Carbon monoxide detectors are designed to provide you with an early warning alarm in the event that CO is detected. The aim is to provide you with the warning before dangerous levels of the gas can be breathed in, which means that you are able to act swiftly before you experience any symptoms of CO poisoning. This early warning signal gives you valuable time and ensures that you are not left breathing in toxic gas without even realizing it.
- Accuracy with warnings: When you have a good quality detector installed at your home, it will have stability against issues such as changes in humidity levels and temperatures. As such, they are able to avoid giving off false alarms and will react only to carbon monoxide rather than to other chemical and household gases that it may detect. Therefore, you won’t be left thinking that it is another false alarm if your detector goes off, which could be a costly assumption to make.
These are some of the key reasons why carbon monoxide detectors are so important for your home and for the safety and wellbeing of your loved ones.
Advice On Choosing and Installation Of CO Detectors
When it comes to buying a carbon monoxide detection system for your home, you need to make sure you choose the right ones. In addition, you should also make sure you buy an adequate number of alarms for your home. As a general rule of thumb, you should have one carbon monoxide sensor on each floor of your home so that people on every floor have protection. It is also a good idea to consider additional detectors in areas where there are gas burning appliances and equipment that could result in carbon monoxide leaks.
When it comes to choosing a carbon monoxide detector, there are a number of different factors that you should take into consideration. You need to ensure that you buy detectors that are not going to let you down when they are designed to protect against something so potentially deadly. There are a number of different types of detectors that you can choose from. This includes:
- Sealed unit carbon monoxide detectors: With these CO detectors, the battery is sealed inside the unit. When the battery runs out, the detector will alert you and you will have to get the unit replaced. The good thing about these is that these units are tamper-proof and you won’t have to worry about someone accidentally removing the battery. In addition, they can have a lifespan of around a decade, in some cases, and you won’t have to worry about replacing the battery whenever it runs out.
- Replacement battery carbon monoxide detectors: The second type of CO detector is the replacement battery type, which is where you replace the batteries whenever they run out but you can continue using the same unit. Batteries typically need replacing every couple of years or so but your detector will alert you when the battery is running out. It is worth bearing in mind, however, that the units do have a limited lifespan and this can vary between five and ten years.
- Smart carbon monoxide detectors: In today’s age of digital technology, it is only natural that smart CO detectors are available. With these detectors, the alarm will sound if any CO is detected but you will also receive notification on your smartphone. This is the most costly option of the three. However, if you spend a lot of time out and are worried about those at home it may be worth investing in so that you receive a notification whether or not you are at home.
There is one more option available, which comes in the form of a patch. These patches do not sound an alarm but they change color if there is any carbon monoxide in the air. These patches are very cheap, which is one of their main benefits. However, for many people, a detector that sounds an alarm is going to be the most suitable option as it offers the higher level of protection.
Benefit From Peace Of Mind With The Installation Of CO Detectors In The Home
In conclusion, the huge range of benefits that come with having carbon monoxide detectors fitted in your home means that they are well worth the cost. You can find battery ones that are inexpensive yet very effective and even the smart ones are coming down in price. You can’t really put a price on protection and peace of mind for your family, which is why this is an investment that anyone without a CO detector in the home should make.
While it is not unreasonable to think in this new day and age how companies and legislation are only used in the perpetual hunt for your wallet, in this specific case, it is not the truth. We need to throw away the misconception that child car seats can last forever...read more
Credit card fraud is on the increase as technology and global super highways develop. The cost to both businesses and consumers from this type of fraud costs billions of dollars every year. Fraudsters are continually finding new ways to commit their illegal...read more
Carbon monoxide has become known as the silent killer is because you cannot tell that it is present. It has no color, no odor, and no taste.